- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion finely chopped plus one more onion for topping
- .5 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- .25 oz ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 6 oz chicken broth
- 6 oz tomato sauce
- 4 oz Lawson’s Finest Mad River Maple
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 lb ground beef (85/15)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- Finely shredded cheddar
- Cook bacon then put the bacon grease in a dutch oven with olive oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add one finely diced onion to the dutch oven. Sweat down onion for approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in finely chopped chocolate, minced garlic, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves for one to two minutes until super fragrant.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, Mad River Maple, vinegar, tomato paste, maple syrup, and Worcestershire.
- Stir in ground beef.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let thicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to reduce if necessary to achieve thick consistency.
- While you wait for the chili to thicken, cook the beef hot dogs.
- Split open hot dog bun, add yellow mustard and finely diced onion.
- Add hot dog split down the middle.
- Top with heaping ladle of chili.
- Add a mountain of finely shredded cheddar cheese.